Sunday, October 02, 2005

It's Sunday and a New Week

Many of you obviously know I'm attending classes but most of you don't know what I do during the rest of the week. I may not be working full time but I'm keeping on my toes. Here is the 411 on what I do all week.

Monday - I take Emily to daycare then come home to read. At 11:00 I head over to Malisa's classroom to work with a little boy who is a struggling reader (he is also data for my Wednesday class). Next, I head over to the food court at our local mall where I become a participant observer in an ethnographic research project I'm doing for a Thursday class (I'm a participant because I eat lunch there. After I'm at the food court for an hour, I go home and write up my reflections on Malisa's class and my field notes on my observations of the food court. I read and do other pieces of homework until I go to bed around 2 am Tuesday morning.

Tuesday - I take Emily to daycare. I drive about 30 miles so I can supervise 4 student teachers. I start the morning by meeting in a small group in the library (research for my Saturday class). I observe them in their classroom until noon when I come home and study the rest of the day. Every other Tuesday I head over to The Center for Inquiry where I observe classrooms and one of my professors.

Wednesday - This is my long day. I teach an 8:30 to 11:00 class. I begin my office hours at 11:30 to 4:00. While in my office, I do homework, read, and read some more. I have class at 4:30 until 7:15. When I get home I eat, play with Emily, say hello to my wife, and read.

Thursday - I take Emily to daycare then come home to study and read. And then I eat lunch and study and read. Then I drive the half-hour commute to class at 4:30 and get out at 7:15. This is my class with all the educational psychologists. I don't like them.

Friday - I like this day. I take Emily to daycare then I come home to study and read. That's all.

Saturday - Do yard work and study and read. I also have class twice a month from 9 till 4:30. It's a long day.

Sunday - Go to church, go to lunch with family, do yard work, study, and read.

4 comments:

edluv said...

"Next, I head over to the food court at our local mall where I become a participant observer in an ethnographic research project I'm doing for a Thursday class (I'm a participant because I eat lunch there. After I'm at the food court for an hour, I go home and write up my reflections on Malisa's class and my field notes on my observations of the food court."

that's tremendously funny to me. you eat at a food court, watch people, and write about it. very cool though.

Adam said...

I agree. I love sociology and people watching. There is always bound to be entertainment.

Scott and Malisa Johnson said...

What can I say. There is nothing better than watching the janitorial crew moving from the carousel to the cleaning station, over to the Cajun Cafe, and back.

Adam said...

Scott, your exciting life makes me jealous. You can't post such fun and interesting things on here. It's not fair.