Friday, July 31, 2009

Three months already!



Yesterday marked the three month birthday of the twins! I can't believe that much time has already passed! It seems like it was yesterday that we brought them home!

Here's some insights in to the lives of little Elias and Elsie!
- Eli can roll over from his tummy to his back. Elsie thinks this is horrible, and loathes tummy time. She has no desire what-so-ever to learn this trick.
- Elsie is a morning girl. She loves to smile when she wakes up and often makes the most "talking" noises and faces during the first hour of her day. You will probably notice many of the pics of her smiling have been when she is getting her diaper changed first thing in the morning.
-Eli and Elsie both love the swing. They particularly like to stare at the over-head fish that swirl around as they are rocked.
- Eli spends many mornings in his bouncy seat on the back patio with me while I do my Bible study. He enjoys the breeze in his face, and the sounds of outside.
-Elsie spends many of her mornings looking out the storm door. She likes to watch our cat, Ethel on the other side.
- Both babies are benefiting from the 90 minute routine. They take short and long naps during the day, with 90 minute wake times in-between.
-As a result of the nap time schedule, they both go to sleep somewhere between 8-9 p.m. and wake for a 4 a.m. feeding and then sleep until 8 a.m. Sleep really isn't an issue right now, but we totally anticipate the issue to rise again in the coming weeks as the babies grow!
- Eli has learned how to suck on his own hand. This delights little Elsie to no end, because before he learned to find his own hand, he often found her hand. I can't tell you how many times I would go to the crib at the sound of Elsie's shrieking only to find Eli happily sucking on her fingers while she pouted.
- Both babies are learning to enjoy their bath. Elsie prefers to have the back of the baby tub freshly rinsed with warm water before she enters. Eli prefers to have a view of himself in the bathroom mirror.
- Both babies are breastfeed for all feedings except the last feeding of the day. This is the feeding that they want the most, and I have the least. They get a bottle of formula to accompany this feeding. Eli furrows his brow EVERY TIME he gets that first taste of formula. This cracks me up.
- We still have a fussy time every day in the evening during dinner hours. This has greatly improved, but it is at this time of day that the babies are worn out, and both (though more Elsie than Eli) only are calmed by us rocking them. This is by far the most stressful time of day, but certainly manageable. I often take this time to walk the neighborhood with the babies in the jogger stroller. They both really enjoy outside time, and this soothes them. (And it also gets me out of the house so that Scott can do the dishes! How clever I am, huh?)
-Both babies love their big sister. Nothing melts our hearts more than when one of the babies is crying and stops when Emily comes over to him or her. I can already tell that they think their big sister is amazing!
-We go for a weight check next week with Dr. Cope. I'm sure the doctor will be as impressed as we are with the babies' additional fat rolls! I'll make sure to include those weights when we get them!

1 comment:

Allie said...

The sucking Elsie's hands made me LOL! Kennedy has found her first for a while now. This is better than the paci... I just hope it doesxn't turn into a hand. I've heard of the 90 minute schedule.. I just haven't done any scheduling:) I can't believe Eli can roll over already. Kennedy tries but all she does is poot when she tries! No rolling at all;)