Thursday, March 11, 2010

Laughing my way through the morning

This morning has been CRAZY! I seriously can't recall another morning when it was so crazy that I had to walk around in giggles just to keep from going in to hysterics. And I'm glad I laughed, because it is just really funny!


**Warning paragraph below contains gross details!**
First of all, Scott mentioned as he was leaving for work that he smelled something, and maybe I needed to check the babies diapers. I'd just changed them both, and didn't think much of it. But then a few minutes after he left, I put Eli in the play room while Elsie finished up her breakfast. When I returned to the kitchen Elsie had a huge mess coming out of her diaper, through her flannel jammies, down the high chair, and dripping on the kitchen floor. Let me sum it up with two words: Brown liquid.

After I got Elsie upstairs, bathed, and all cleaned up, I walked down stairs to find that Eli has pulled down each toy storage bin (eight in all) and dumped them out on the play room floor. Good thing most of Em's small toys are upstairs! He had also rolled himself over to the shelf with the puzzles and had dumped over five of them on the floor. He was VERY pleased with his mess!

Emily was asking to play "dance party" which is where I turn on music and she dances around with the babies in their jumper-roos. I thought this sounded like a fabulous idea, but when I went to put the CD in the DVD/CD player, it wouldn't read correctly. It seemed like something was lodged in there, so I got a chopstick and eventually pulled out two jelly beans and a hair rubber band, but this didn't help. The CD still wouldn't play.

So I bring in the boom box from the other room and put music on. The babies had a great time while Emily danced, and for twenty minutes there seemed to be normalcy (or as normal as a house with a five year old and twin babies can get!)

Then I heard the recycling truck pull in to the neighborhood, and instantly remembered the recycling that I forgot to put out. I sent Emily out in her jammies to put the items in the bin, and as she returned she told me the sliding van doors were both open. I couldn't figure out how this could have happened, but as I used my remote to close them, Ethel, my cunning devilish cat leaped out from the inside of the van. It was at this point that I remembered she hadn't been fed, and I knew instantly she'd left a "treat" in my van. Yep. I was right. The cat has a serious vindictive side.

I'd just cleaned up the mound left on my previously spotless car mat when I noticed it was 9 a.m. and the babies were starting to fuss. Time for their naps. I put them upstairs in their cribs while Emily continued to dance to her tunes downstairs. Apparently the fussing through the monitor was too loud and from what I understand, Emily was trying to turn up the volume dial when she tripped and accidently turned the dial to the loudest volume possible. One would think she would simply turn down the dial, but no. She ran out to the garage and hid in a box with a blanket over her head, crying.

At this point let's just stop to survey the scene. I had two babies fussing in their cribs. My big girl was crying in a box in the garage from fear of the music, that was still blaring loud. I had a cat who was seriously ticked from the lack of a timely breakfast. And there was still "brown liquid" all over the high chair and kitchen floor.

Yep. That was life this morning. Hysterically crazy. And its only just after 10!

5 comments:

Katie said...

hilarious!

Jenny said...

Oh my gosh, I'm laughing so hard right now!

Scott and Malisa Johnson said...

jenny, you laugh because you know more than anyone how smart and vengeful my sweet black cat can be!

Anonymous said...

oh wow...you have some incredible patience and a fantastic attitude!!!

Jenny said...

I think you're right, Malisa. ;o)