Saturday, January 14, 2006

Another Post

When I checked my blog I hadn’t realized it had been so long since I posted. Time goes by quick without reflecting on past events. It’s 1:30 am on Saturday and I’m finishing class work. I think I’m going to enjoy teaching this methods class. There is a lot of work that needs to be put into the class but I think I have taken care of logistics. From this point it’s a matter of planning for each week. What’s nice is I basically know what I’ll be covering each week. Since you are all interested I’ll be covering Cambourne’s Conditions for Learning, creating a literate environment, and Smith’s “Joining the Literacy Club.” If you need to low down on what I’m teaching I can send you my syllabus ; )

I met with the professor who gave me an incomplete. She went over my paper. For writing my first doctoral research paper, I consider what she said to be “nice.” There were several compliments and several “do this next time.” What I really appreciated was the time she spent with me. Though she’s on sabbatical, we met at Banes and Noble. She proceeded to give me a pep-talk reminding me that I needed to ask more questions in class. She said never leave class not fully understanding. I agree this is one of my faults because I have to put up a facade as if I comprehend everything. Then I leave stressing about the class!

Anyway she was extremely proud that I took a chance researching language. Language can be difficult to observe since it’s not tangible like looking at reading, writing, or spelling. Language involves lots of listening and hoping you don’t miss something. I think I’m going to continue researching language or follow in the footsteps of Ralph Peterson and research the importance of community.

To make a long story short she gave me an “A” which means I received straight “A’s” my first semester of school. I didn’t think it was possible but I guess I can give myself a little pat on the back. I guess it’s time to get to bed since I have class tomorrow from 9 - 4 pm. Goodnight!

No comments: