Sunday, October 12, 2008
We went to the state fair yesterday. It was a little overcast, and the high was in the low seventies but it never rained, and was just cool enough to be comfortable. We got there right after it opened, and it wasn't crowded at all. Some things worth mentioning:
1. Fair Rides- Emily loves them, and they always seem like a good idea until she and/or one of us are locked in the ride. Then I begin to question the capability of a ride to be safe when it actually isn't bolted down to anything, and is transportable. Hmmm....
2. Exhibits- How awesome is it that our child still will fall asleep and take a 1.5 hr. nap right there in her stroller? It sure made looking at the exhibits much more enjoyable, as she would have been bored to death viewing the winning rose display, amateur cake decorating contests, and sand sculptures that Scott and I love.
3. Farm Animals- Thank you Clemson Univ. students who took time to allow our daughter to pet your very pregnant dairy cow, explain where milk comes from, and show your baby calf on a lead line. In addition to this, she saw a chicken in the process of hatching from its egg right before our eyes, petted a beautiful bunny rabbit, and watched the equestrian team jump their horses in competition. Surely a highlight for Emily Grace.
4. Political stickers- If the definition of being a minority is not being in the majority, then Scott and I were certainly in the minority with our Obama/Biden stickers that we sported through the fair. Not that I thought too much about it when I stuck it on my shirt when seeing the Obama display, but later when I went to find a table to eat my funnel cake (mmmmm.... funnel cakes!) I really did question whether or not I would be as welcomed to share a table as I would be with a McCain/Palin sticker like most of those around me. (the tables were very long, and required asking those sitting on the other end of they were using the entire table, or if we could sit on the other end.)
5. Fair food- Yes, I already mentioned the fair food. But there are a couple things that the SC fair has that we didn't have growing up, or at least I don't remember. THe first is Fiske Fries. Yum. They are sort of like In-and-out fries, but they have a full-size spray bottle at the display filled with malt vinegar to spray all over the fries. That with lots of salt makes them better than in-and -out, imo. Thanks to my friend Lori for turning us on to those last year! There are also these cinnamon sugar donuts that Scott loves. Thanks to Jimmy for turning him on to those last year too! And of course there are the double corndogs that I love with lots of mustard, and the funnel cakes. Seriously, enough fat grams to last me through the remaining days of October!
So yes, those are my fair highlights. We left our home shortly after nine, and didn't return until after four. We felt we got our money's worth. :) Anybody else go to the fair where you were?