Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sometimes looking in the mirror is scary

I'm sitting in the living room toodling about the internet while feeding the babies. Emily is in the toy room (dining room) playing in her big play kitchen. As I listen to her play I hear myself. She is talking with her baby doll while she cooks, and going back and forth between being the baby's voice and the mommy's. This is how the conversation goes:

Baby: Mommy... I really need a drink.

Mommy: In a second sweetheart (in a very loving tone)

Baby: Mommy, I really need a drink before bed

Mommy: I know sweetheart, and I will bring in in just a second.

Baby: But I am just so thirsty and I can't go to bed until I have a drink of water. With lots of ice. Right now.

Mommy: (slightly irritated) Sweetheart, you will have to be patient, and I need to wash the dishes and then feed the babies and then clean the bottles and then fold the laundry.

Baby: But MOMMY! I am thirsty NOW!

(deep sigh)

Mommy: (In a very irritated voice) I am getting it right now for you sweetheart.

Baby: (now crying) But mommy! Now! Now! NOW!

Mommy: YOU NEED TO BEHAVE AND BE PATIENT AND UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT BECAUSE MOMMY ONLY HAS TWO HANDS!!!!




Gee. I promise I have never pulled the, "mom only has two hands" line on Emily. But she got it somewhere. Poor girl. She has to share her Mommy and Daddy now, and darn is that hard! She is learning though. Now if only her Baby doll can get it! :)

2 comments:

Justin said...

The funniest part is that she clearly understands that the baby character is whiney and irritating mommy. She just demonstrated how well she knows how to break you down and get her way.

She's a smart little bugger

Scott and Malisa Johnson said...

That is so true! Does that mean that she should have some sympathy towards Mommy as I run around like a crazy women, trying to meet everybody's needs? :)

Because so far... she doesn't!