Thursday, September 10, 2009
I received the latest issue of my favorite magazine, Real Simple, yesterday and sat down to read it with coffee this morning. Each month readers write in with their thoughts on a given topic. This month the topic was about Home. I finished reading what readers described as home to them, and I began thinking of a list of the things that make Home to me. Here's what I've come up with so far:
- Home is having the windows open in the spring and fall.
- Home is my bed piled high with freshly folded laundry.
- Home is the excitement when Daddy comes home from work.
- Home is our dog Dakota being chained to the nightstand so he doesn't go through the trash while we sleep.
- Home is the twins laying in our bed in the morning, laughing and talking to us, and then Emily coming in and making them smile.
- Home is every stain in the carpet, and the memory of what caused each one.
-Home is Ethel the cat waiting for us on the front porch when we return from town.
- Home is Emily begging us to read her another story before bed.
- Home is my vegetable garden, even when it has more weeds than vegetables.
- Home is Emily walking downstairs in the morning while telling us how wonderful breakfast smells.
- Home is sharing coffee, the newspaper, and the couch with Scott on the weekends.
- Home is every neighbor who waves as they pass us in our front yard.
- Home is the tacky rose wallpaper in the kitchen that was hung wrong so the mauve roses grow down towards the floor, and four years of talk about taking it down.
- Home is the view from of the forrest from my patio table while I do my Bible study.
- Home is the dining room that will never be used as such, but rather holds a store-full of toys.
- Home is being too excited to sleep because the next day will bring family to visit.
- Home is the twins smiling when I peak over the crib after their nap.
- Home is family