Monday, May 24, 2010

Strangers

I haven't posted a good Emily quote in awhile, and thought it was high time.

A week or so ago, I sent Em out to get in the car for preschool. She walked out the front door and saw a man in our front yard, and immediately started talking to him. At first I totally freaked out until I realized that it was just the meter reader, and he probably just wanted to get back to his job.

Once we were all buckled in the car and backing down the drive, I explained to Emily that talking to strangers like that could be dangerous, and that it is not safe to go up to men in the front yard and talk to them. I tried not to be too scary sounding as I explained that there are not nice people in the world and that Daddy and Mommy want Emily to be safe. She told me she understood, and I told her I loved how friendly she was.

Well, this morning we were doing our grocery shopping at our favorite grocery store. The bagger walked us out and loaded up our groceries while I loaded the babies in the car. (This is why its my favorite grocery store... they always help me load my car!)

As the bagger turned to walk away, he asked Emily, "Are you always so helpful to your mommy?"

She just stood there.

Knowing that she wasn't a quiet kid after he just witnessed her talk endless in the check-out line, he assumed she must not have heard him, so he repeated himself.

She continued to stand there, and actually turned her head away.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out how my normally polite young lady could be so rude! I told Emily, "Honey, the nice man just asked you a question. Tell him how you are always so helpful to mommy!" (I'm sure there as an edge in my voice!)

She very timidly said, "Yes, I'm helpful to mommy." And the man turned to go.

After I got in the car, and before I could get any words out, Emily grabbed my shoulder and said, "Mommy. You really need to make up your mind about this stranger thing. I'm really confused right now."

Ahhh. So THAT'S it. I felt like such a doofus. And once again I was reminded that my five year old is smarter than I am.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

She is a crack up!