Monday, January 31, 2011

My morning

Elsie was sick on Saturday morning, and so even though we had great plans to head out and enjoy the wonderful weather, we played it safe and stayed at home. Well wouldn't you know Elsie was fine the rest of the day? Isn't that the way it goes? So of course the next morning we brought her to church. We didn't even think about it. And she was just fine. And then last night happened. Let's just say I elected to use disposable diapers after the first major yucky diaper change. And I felt HORRIBLE for bringing in the church nursery!

So this morning we were left with that big question: Does she go to Ms. Shari's, or do we keep her home? She never ran a fever, and she hadn't had yucky diapers in hours and hours. So we decided to bring her.

Once we got to Shari's house Elsie just didn't seem right. She was too mellow and almost lethargic. Our pediatrician always tells us temperament over temperature, so I decided to call school and tell them I'd need a substitute. I wasn't about to leave my baby feeling so yucky.

So that's what I did. I drove to school so that I could throw together some lesson plans, with Elsie in tow. I still wasn't sure what's wrong with her, but something just wasn't right. Once I got to school, I walked her in on my hip, and when I got about half-way up the walkway to the building, the guy who teaches next to me caught up and asked what was going on. I was just in the middle of explaining Elsie's weird symptoms when Elsie projectile vomited all over me and the pillar I was standing next to.

Horror movies don't have anything on a puking baby for a young guy with no kids of his own. I felt so bad, both for Elsie but also for my friend. It was pretty gross! Needless to say, I never got to my classroom.

I decided to go back to Ms. Shari's to pick up Eli, who surely was exposed to her germs. I didn't want him to pass those germs on to the other littles.

I get him home, and he puked in the driveway.

Nice. So far one of them has been asleep while the other pukes. It has worked out well this way. Because if both of them were up "getting sick" at the same time, I don't know what I'd do.

Its been quite a morning. Luckily in between the piles of yuck on the floor, the dirty diapers, and the crying there have been many moments of cuddling, snuggling and cartoon watching. I love those parts. I'm sure my sweet baby girl and boy will feel better soon. Hopefully its REAL SOON! :) But I'm enjoying my day with these sweeties all the same.

No comments: