Saturday, June 18, 2011

Reading

Every once in awhile Scott and I will find ourselves looking for something to do after dinner is over and the dishes are put away. Many times we find ourselves going to Rita's for italian ice, and then to Barnes and Noble. For some reason, this happened many Friday nights in a row. A few of those times I had a gift card to spend.

Spending money at Barnes and Noble has never been an issue for me. However, I always find myself in a quandary. I will walk straight to the kids section, and begin perusing through the newest children's literature. But then I wander over to the newly expanded "young adult" section and find several titles there too. Eventually I remember that I AM an adult, so maybe I should check out the best sellers shelf, or find one of those titles my friends have mentioned were great.

So which books do I get? Almost all of the time, I go for the children's lit or young adult. I guess there is something so wonderful about sharing a great book with somebody that makes it that much better. Some favorites I enjoyed talking with kids about this year were The Hunger Games Trilogy (I also loved talking about this books with several friends of mine who also loved this book), The Evolution of Calpernia Tate, The Underneath, and A Long Walk To Water. (Though I think I'm missing some...)

This summer started out with my reading through so many things. I re-read Crazy Love. And then I sped through the latest Nicholas Sparks book. But then I started reading what just may be the best book I've read in years. I just finished it today, and I think Scott is thrilled because he's been claiming neglect for the past couple of days.


The Help is an amazing book that looks in to the relationship between female black maids an their female white bosses. Its brilliant in every way. It was one of those books that I had to make myself put down. Several times I just couldn't, like the time this week that I stayed up until 2 a.m. reading. Then when I did put it down to MAKE myself do housework, I couldn't stop thinking about not only the characters in the book, but the lives of those who lived in Mississippi in the 1960's... both black and white. I've always thought that the best books were those that continue to make me think and question long after I finish the last page. This certainly meets that requirement.

The movie comes out in August, and while I'm certain it will not be as good as the book, I've already told Scott I want to see it. Here's a trailer:

2 comments:

Mr. Hass' Class said...

Most times Tricia and I get away for a date night we always wind up at B&N. Like you, I tend to make my way to the children's/YA sections first. Many of my very favorite books are found on those shelves.

Last week we had about fifteen minutes to kill between an appointment and picking Ty up from his day camp. We headed to the bookstore and I decided, this time, to see what they had on the tables that divide the main aisle from the front of the store to the back. It was mostly a bunch of trash. My favorite was "Your Teacher Said What: Defending Our Kids from the Liberal Assault on Capitalism." I spent a few minutes leafing through the pages to see if I was, in fact, the enemy. I suspect I know the answer but was unwilling to spend twenty-five bucks to find out for certain.

Mr. Hass' Class said...

I now see that the first line of my comment uses the phrases "Most times..." and "always..." in reference to the same event. Brilliant!