Much guilt comes from neglecting my blog. Over the past few months there have been several things that I've wanted to remember. Things I just hope never to forget. That's one of my favorite things about my blog. I love looking back at the posts and remembering specific moments that I may have otherwise not remembered.
So here are just a few things of late that I hope never to forget.
- Cookbooks. I'm not sure what started it, but there was a time this past fall when all our kids wanted to read together were cookbooks. I would get down all the cookbooks from the shelf and they would pile on to the couch and talk about which recipes looked the best, and drool all over the pictures.
- Swimming. This was such a part of my life for so long, and I just love that Emily is enjoying it right now. I totally realize that she could change her mind about this sport in exchange for any number of activities, but right now I'm relishing in watching her swim. She's also found that she likes a bit of competition... something that Scott and I didn't see before.
- Differences. I think this pretty much sums up the differences between the twins. This is a picture from a birthday party the twins went to. Both Eli and Elsie were totally excited to select a present for their friend Lyles, and to go to the party. When we got there, they had an awesome puppet show all set up. Before it started, all the kids sat down in front in little rows. You can see Elsie right there in the middle of it all. But where's Eli? Well, he's behind the sofa yelling "I hate puppets! Puppets are evil!" So while the entire show went on, and Elsie danced and sang and had a grand time, poor Eli was still behind the sofa, silently cursing the puppets.
- Skirts. I know this will pass, and when it does I have to admit that I won't be sad. Right now Elsie is in a phase where she wants to wear skirts ALL THE TIME. With the weather getting colder, this is a constant battle. Every day we have to explain why she needs pants, and I'm not going to lie, there is often tears and screaming. Then, as soon as we get home from school and work, Elsie goes straight upstairs and puts on her skirt, pulling everything out of her drawers until she has the perfect outfit. And that's not all. She also has an obsession with shoes. (I think she gets this from her Grammy) This is illustrated nicely in the conversation that happened before bed just a couple nights ago:
- Eli: I really like God
- Me: What is it that you like about him?
- Eli: He makes all sorts of vegetables. So if you don't like broccoli, you can eat carrots, or all sorts of other things. He made SO many yummy vegetables
- Emily: You know what I like about God? He made all different kinds of people. None of them look alike. I like that He did that.
- Elsie: My turn! I like God too... He made all different types of shoes! *oh boy are we in for it!*
- We've found a new favorite toy. And just when you think the "magic" has died off, somebody comes up with an even more awesome way to play with it! THE STOMP ROCKET!
Maybe I can find a way to update every season. Maybe that will be doable. We'll see.