Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Moving closer to domestic diva status

So i decided a few months ago that I wanted to learn to sew. I told Scott that I would like to get a machine, and he nicely replied, "uh... really?" Then he pointed out the half-finished other crafting things that I have never finished. (a crochet blanket, and a needle point pillow case for starters)

In comes neighbor Meesh. She has a machine that she is not currently using and has allowed me to borrow it for the time being. Scott said that if I can finish, actually COMPLETE a project or two, then we could talk about getting a sewing machine.

I have now completed two projects. (sort of) The first was the first of two valances for my classroom. How easy was that! One is already hanging in my room and looks great, so I plan on starting and finishing the second this afternoon during Emily's nap time.

The other project was a sun dress for Emily. It is this cute orange and yellow fabric, and the entire thing is really simple. My mother-in-law came over and was showing me how to work some basic things on the machine, which really helped. THen I was off to finish the dress.

Let's just say that it is something to be desired. When Emily tried it on she said (and I am not exaggerating, this is how my 3 year-old talks) "Mom, this looks foolish. It is really awful."

Nice. So my daughter now thinks that if she wears clothes that I sew that she will look foolish and awful. Oh well. I will try another, but this time with adorable princess fabric that she picked out. (Yes, that was sort of a bribe, but oh well! Maybe she will wear it!)

I will post picture later!
-Malisa

No comments: